Sunday, April 21, 2013

Making the magic

Well howdy there folks! I honestly dont remember what I last talked about (maybe I should have viewed my blog before starting an entry) so i'm just gonna recap real fast then share a story! Wahoo!
Alright last week I was in Adventureland yet again. I love it over there though, I love the people who work over there and the managers are great. I dont even get mad when I get deployed there now. :) So yeah...I worked Adventureland. Had some sword fights. Had some boys try to decapitate my head. Met a guest who was on his senior trip and talked to him for a while all about the DCP program. Funny kid, so that was fun. And yeah. Then yesterday after work I went and played at the park with Katie, one of my very favorite people I have met here at Disney. I also met her in Adventureland. Katie and I went and bothered all the glow cart people because they are Adventureland people and then rode some rides...I also even went on Splash Mountain. Didnt even get wet. I guess thats what happens when its 11 o'clock at night-right when the park closes and its just the two of you and two strangers and you get your own row so you sit in the very middle. Rockstar. Anyway so yeah works been work. Nothing too fantastic.
Today I was back in Fantasyland-Zone 2. Zone 2 is my least favorite zone (The Winnie the Pooh shop and two outdoor carts) well it was a rainy day and I was on the porch at Pooh-meaning the register thats well..outside the shop. But still under a roof so dont worry folks-i didnt get wet! Actually this story happened before it started to really rain-so sorry for getting a head of myself-please forgive me! Anyway so the Winnie the Pooh ride had just gone down and they even evacuated the ride, meaning it obviously had an issue that would take a while. So the shop was pretty empty because no one was coming off from the ride. My manager came up to talk to me to warn me some guests might be grumpy haha (he also happens to be my favorite manager because he's from Utah. But thats beside the point). Anyway he were talking for a while he left for a couple minutes then came back and we talked some more. Finally we see a family walk towards the store and a little boy maybe like 7 just crying. My manager was like uh oh whats wrong? And the mom in broken English (i'm guessing they were from Europe, like Sweden or something-awesome!) she said all the little boy wanted was to ride the Winnie the Pooh ride and it was down. My manager was like well there are no tears at Disney so he pulls out his No Strings book and wrote the family a No Strings in order for them to get on the ride without waiting in line once the ride got started back up. They then went into the shop to look around and we were talking about how we were hoping so much that the ride would reopen soon because this little boy seriously broke our hearts. My manager was like lets go get him a plush. So we wrote up another No Strings for this little boy and gave him a free Winnie the Pooh stuffed animal. They were leaving the shop and we stopped them and gave the little boy this stuffed animal. He was so excited and just beamed up at me as he thanked me. My manager then got word the ride should be up and running soon so we told them this and they left so happy. My manager then left and once I saw people dumping back into the store from the ride my eyes were fixed on that door waiting for this family. Finally I saw them come in and they shopped around for a bit. I was then brought a new assignment but I couldnt leave until I talked to this family. Finally as they left the store with some purchases I asked the little boy how the ride was. He just grinned as he told me it was great and his older sister said he was definitely on top of the world right then. The mom then thanked me over and over again and said how we not only saved the little boys vacation- but saved their vacation. She then told me the little boy had been saving for a year in order to have money for this trip and he left with the biggest Eeyore stuffed animal that was half his size. The family thanked me once more before carrying on their way.
Moments like this make my job so much worthwhile and honestly will probably miss the most! I love helping create the magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment